Friday, November 20, 2009

Just Breathe

Last night I dreamed I was drowning in a pool. I was deep in the water. I couldn't tell which way was up. I also felt paralyzed. I couldn't move. I breathed in as I was thinking I can't breathe in the water, I'll drown. I got myself moving a little bit, then looked to see if I could tell which way was up & I took another breath. Don't do that you will die, I reminded myself. I told myself to kick my legs, that will move you toward the surface. I breathe again, but I am beginning to move. One more breath & I reach the surface & the edge of the pool. I am assisted out of the water.
In writing about this dream I do not convey the fear I felt as I thought through this dream while pushing myself upward to save myself. After I woke up I could remember the fear, it felt like a real experience. I also felt relief at not drowning & began to wonder if there is any parrallel between my life & this dream. I personally believe I dream about what I am worried about, then twist it! So I decided this dream is synonimous with the 4 weeks I have left in school this semester. I struggled in my dream to breathe 4 times. The water & drowning represent the pressure I put on myself & the feeling I have of being overwhelmed, questioning myself & my ability to finish another semester with good grades. The best part of this analogy is I don't drown! I get through it. I take one step at a time & make it.
As you all know I push everything aside during school. The house goes to pot, I don't cook, I spend a lot of time reading text books. The good news is I am at the end of another semester. Only 3 weeks of class & finals. So, this dream was a good reminder to tell myself to relax & just breathe!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom I like your interpretation. It makes a lot of sense.

Amy Lu said...

Well I am just glad you make it out ok. I don't like that idea of you not making to out of the water.

William said...

Great blog Mom, just keep kicking you'll make it!

Ang said...

just think....very soon you can enjoy Christmas vacation! time with your family, time to read what you want, time to relax....sounds like heaven!

Erin said...

I have faith in you to do an amazing job...you always do. I totally hate dreams like this though but I'm glad that you could turn it into something more positive!

Omar said...

your thoughts are really pretty you should be a poem writer or something ! :)

agusgonz said...

yes!!!
http://audiovideoblogger.blogspot.com/

AJ said...

Hi,
Really a great thought. You have presented a gem of a thought with this post. Inspiring as well as Interesting. I really liked it a lot. Will wait to read more like this.