Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Week 3 Jesus Feeds the Multitude


This is one of my student choice assignments for this week. I compared two miracles where Jesus fed multitudes with a few fish. I included a few comments on the end...for those that read to the end!
Matthew 14:14-21
How many people were present?                           5,000 + women & children
What did they need?                                     The multitude needed food to eat.
What were they able to offer in an effort
to meet that need?                                        5 loaves of bread & 2 fishes
Words that describe the feelings of the
Savior towards the multitude:                     Compassion, they need not depart, give them to eat
Words or phrases describing what the
Savior provided for them:                           They did all eat, they were filled, they took up fragments
 Matt 15:323-38
How many people were present?                           4000 + women & children
What did they need?                                     They needed food to eat.
What were they able to offer in an
effort to meet that need?                             7 loaves of bread and a few little fishes
Words that describe the feeling of the
Savior towards the multitude:                     Compassion, I will not send them away hungry, lest they
                                                                        Faint by the way.
Words or phrases describing what the
Savior provided for them:                           All ate, all were filled, Seven baskets of food leftover.
In Romans 3:23 we read that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  I have sinned which blocks my path to eternal life. I cannot overcome sin on my own.  
I started thinking about the parable and what part I play. I am a loaf of bread. On my own my efforts are very small, but when I allow the Savior to bless me miracles happen. Here is my thought process combining the parable and Ether 12:27:
There was insufficient bread to feed the crowd.
I am insufficient. On my own I am not able to gain eternal life.
Jesus took the bread and blessed it. He fed the multitude.
Jesus shows me my weakness. I am humbled. I receive grace. I receive strength to overcome my weakness.

I am aware of my sin.  With faith in Jesus Christ I can repent. I will receive forgiveness. My weakness becomes strength as I gain power to resist temptation. As his disciple I grow in strength and wisdom. 

No comments: