Sunday, January 12, 2014

One New Thing Every Day

      As I was deleting email yesterday, in bed before getting up, I read a goodreads review written by Tori Eaton. She remarked on the book, I Dare Me: How I Rebooted and Recharged My Life by Doing Something New Every Day by Lu Ann Cahn. Tori gave this book a 5 out of 5, so I read more. I clicked on the book and found myself intrigued by the author and her story. I googled her name and found her blog. She is a cancer survivor and is my age. A few years ago started a blog based on doing one new thing every day. It developed into I dare me, which basically means she will say yes to new experiences, even when she is tired or busy and wants to say no.
      I would like to do this, starting right now. I want to try something new each day and dare myself by saying yes to new adventures. I looked at Lu Ann's list of firsts and picked one to try. It was to not look in a mirror all day long. I was so excited to begin. I got up to brush my teeth. I blocked my reflection in the mirror with the medicine cabinet door. I did it,I brushed my teeth without looking. I wasn't too concerned about my appearance as it was Saturday with no plans to go public! My Saturday chores included cleaning 3 bathrooms. That could be a challenge. I gathered my supplies and began. I found as I focused on the sink, the tub, the floor and I could avoid actually looking into the mirror. I also discovered I had options. I could focus on the rag cleaning the mirror, I could focus on my hand holding the rag, or I could stand at an angle where I couldn't see my reflection.  It was during this process of cleaning the mirror that I learned a life lesson. For me mirrors can be seen as a representation of anything that tempts us to focus on ourselves rather than others. I believe it is through learning to care for others (Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself) that we will develop Christ like attributes, thus getting caught up in our own reflection inhibits personal growth.
     Hygiene and appearance count in society. Later that day I pulled myself together, without a mirror, to go to dinner with my sister, her husband, and one of their daughters. It was low key at a Mexican restaurant, but no one noticed I didn't have the usual amount of makeup on or that my hair wasn't picture perfect. We were glad to be together to catch up on what is going on in our lives.
      I also found through this new experience that I was not as negative towards myself. When I see myself in a mirror I am looking for the flaws to correct. I reach up and smooth my hair or check to see if my diet is working yet. Then I start talking to myself with statement such as, "why are you so...or you are still so..." It was a nice break from myself!
      I am not throwing my mirrors out, yet. I do hope to remember to see them just as a tool to help me prepare myself to be my best, then go and serve others.

Alma 5:14 And now behold, I ask of you my brethren of the church, have we spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

No comments: