Wednesday, September 10, 2008

V is for Vonnie

I started losing my car in parking lots a few years ago, so I have come up  with a few tricks to prevent my parking lot panic. The 1st trick is to park in the aisle straight out the front door of the store. I don't care how far I have to walk, I have learned to walk straight out the door & I know my car is there in that aisle. My car is silver & there have been times I have parked & then come back to find my car in a line-up with 3 other silver cars. I have now memorized my plate # for the times I have to pick it out of a line-up. My 2nd trick is to look around & take note of the aisle # or letter, if rule #1 doesn't work. Now for the reason I am sharing. On Tuesday morning I drove to UVU to attend my microbiology lab. I went to my regular aisle & to my horror there were no available parking spaces. My lab is at 10:00 a.m., it is my only morning class, I can always find a spot in the afternoon & on Saturdays. So I began to serpentine through the lot, 1 aisle, 2 aisles, 3 aisles, 4 aisles, 5 aisles, I was beginning to panic. I had enough time to park & walk to the lab from my regular spot. I was driving into the next county at this point. I kept weaving up & down every aisle, other cars were doing the same thing. There was not one space for at least 10 aisles. Finally I spotted one at the far end, pulled in, gathered books, locked the car, & as I was walking towards the shuttle stop looked up & noticed I was on aisle V. Yeah! I can remember aisle V, it is the same letter as my first initial. Scurrying on I decided I would ride the shuttle, which I never do, unless it pulled out before I got there. It takes as long to walk as wait for the next shuttle. Well, I walked to my lab, the shuttle pulled out when I was about 3/4 of the way there. The lab was our 1st hands on with microscopes. I looked at E coli, staph, yeast, & one other bacteria. We get to draw what we saw in living color & turn them in next week. After lab I needed to walk as fast as I could back to my car & drive myself to the Payson pantry for work. Time is of the essence. As I walked into the parking lot & I immediatly began to scan the aisle markers. Suddenly I realize my mistake....I am not parked on aisle V, I am parked in lot V. Every aisle has a purple sign that says Lot V on it. I am surrounded by aisles of cars, most of them silver & they are all on aisle V! Oh my stars, where am I parked? I know it is in the far Northwest end, but which aisle? I can testify that it takes more time to serpentine the aisles on foot than by car, looking for that one special 'silver' car hidden amongst all the other silver cars in 'lot' V.
Thank goodness, I was eventually able to find my car. I made it to work in plenty of time. Lesson learned, leave for school 10 minutes earlier, park at the end of an aisle & never trust a purple sign with a V on it!

8 comments:

Ang said...

Oh nooooo! That would be my nightmare. I always park in the same aisle when I go to Wal-Mart. I would have done the same thing and I would have panicked!

William said...

What a wonderfully (if that's a word) funny story. Thanks for sharing it. You have an exiting way of writing. Good job!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

I do the same thing alllllllll the time. When i go to walmart and target I park at the same entrance, because I have spent too much time, in the heat, lost! I'm glad you were able to get to everything on time though! have a good week

jenjen said...

mom, that means your getting old! We have to buy you one of those car locaters for your key ring. You don't have any problem losing your keys do you?

I have to admit sometimes I do the same, and i just start pushing my lock button so my car will honk!
I sure love ya!

Amy Lu said...

I had the same thought Jen did. Boy oh Boy mom you are getting so old! ha ha. This is a funny story I do love that you parked in Lot V and I think you should park there always cause your name starts with V!

Stephen and Amanda said...

Mom that's funny! I was thinking that you were going to be loyally to the end about your parking in the area of the 'V' since you are so loyal to things like that. Jen and Amy have a great idea though, we do need to get you a beeper key lock. Oh, funny. Mom I love your stories!

kathy said...

That was a funny story except it's not too funny when it really happens. I have spent more time looking for my car in parking lots. I like all the ideas suggested, however I forget to use them. I can't remember where I put my memory?

Carissa J said...

LOL! That's great Vonnie. Parking at a university is always risky business. Sounds like you got some good exercise, though ;)