Monday, August 4, 2008

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep

In the midst of trial it is easy to get caught up in discouragement. While I was preparing my Primary lesson I rediscovered Helaman 5:12;  And now, my sons, remember, remember that is is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation: that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail & his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over  you to drag you down to the gulf of misery & endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.  I remembered & rededicated myself to building my faith in Jesus Christ so that regardless of my situation, no matter what storms blow my way, I will stand faithful. Then today I had an experience that humbled me to tears, again compelling me to recognize my blessings & express more gratitude. I had a client at the Provo food bank this morning. A man, a woman, & a darling 6 year old boy. They are surviving on $ she earns donating plasma. Their electricity is on the verge of shut-off. She broke down in tears several times. Neither of the adults are able to find jobs right now, they both have some legal issues holding them back. As we were going over business the 6 year said, "I have a baby brother." I turned to him and said, "That is so cool." Well, this brought the mother to tears again. As it turned out, this baby brother was put up for adoption back East. I don't think it was what they really wanted to do, but I think they felt like it was the best option for the baby. The food we dispense in only a band-aid for these people. I will not forget them & their example has helped put my setbacks into perspective. I am richly blessed with a family I love & enjoy. I have a roof over my head with food in by cupboard. I have never had to consider adopting out a child for lack of ability to care for them. I am thankful I am healthy & able to work & go to school. Most importantly I am thankful for my testimony of Jesus Christ & the security that brings. 

8 comments:

jenjen said...

I am so sad for them. I have to agree. I am blessed as well. For all of you that are in social work, you are amazing. I don't have the heart for it. I would just break down with them and give them what money I could scrape together...

Stephen and Amanda said...

Mom that is so sad. It brings a flood of memories of what I have left. I am giving you the biggest possible but softest pat on the back for what you are doing to try and help in any way that you can. :)

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing that mom...it really makes us stop and think how truly blessed we are. This family is a great one and I am truly happy to be a part of it.

Ang said...

It is always so good to put our trials in perspective. Sometimes I don't know how we'll survive, then something happens to show me what is most important and that I am still truly blessed.

James Hoopes said...

Great insight, how is Nicole HIll, how is your summer now that it is over, and thanks for the comments on my blog, I have a new one for sketches now!

Vonnie said...

Hi James, long time no hear...how the heck are ya? How do I get on your new blog? How are the kids? How is the language? Every once in a while someone asks how you are doing, so let me know what to tell them. Love you.

James Hoopes said...

Sort of strange to communicate over blog chat lines. We are all great, the new blog is abuteancum.blogspot.com, the kids are loving school, especially Jarom, and the language is extremely difficult but in some strange way enjoyable, I'm still not sure how it works but I understand enough to stay in class! love from everyone!

kathy said...

I just read that same scripture yesterday. I agree with everything you said. How quickly we forget ouyr blessings when trials come along. How grateful I am for the scriptures that bring us such wonderful messages.