Saturday, December 21, 2013

Final Essay New Testament

        The most significant lesson learned this semester was in connection with the Last Supper. When Jesus and the disciples were in the Upper Room Jesus told them one would betray him. The immediate response from the disciples was, “Is it I?” My initial thoughts focused in on why these men would question themselves in connection with betrayal. In black and white Judas is a prime example of betrayal. He received 30 pieces of silver in exchange for the life of Jesus Christ. This betrayal came after being taught and mentored by a member of the Godhead. With this definition in mind, the question ‘is it I’ should not even be uttered by the other disciples. In applying this scripture to myself I must ask myself if ‘it is I’ that betrays Jesus. The answer is yes, every time I am dishonest, unkind, angry, selfish, or greedy and this is the short list. In combination with a lesson in my Life Skills class I learned that being defensive is a sign of entitlement, just another way I betray my testimony of Jesus Christ. Here is an illustration of what I learned and how it is changing my life. At work I review mortgage files for closing. Documents in the file are time sensitive. I had a file for review that was ready to go to closing. The processor left a note in the file to see her before I cleared the file for closing. It was in the afternoon as I checked for her, at her desk. She was not there any of three times I looked for her. As I was preparing to leave I saw her with a friend coming back from a late lunch. In that moment I decided I was justified to place the file in my desk and leave as planned. Fast forward to the next morning, shortly after arriving at work, with my supervisor at my desk questioning me about the file. In my defense, I told her I had done my due diligence in clearing the file to close…it wasn’t my fault she wasn't at her desk for two hours while I was looking for her. She is the one that put the note in the file, then was not available. This event happened the very week I was learning about entitlement and the question, ‘is it I? As I continued to work that morning I finally calmed down and asked myself, ‘is it I?’ The answer was yes, I had a part in this situation. I had options, but had been selfish because I wanted to get out the door. I easily could have passed the file to another employee and had them finish with the processor. I did not need to place blame at the feet of the processor. She had been in a meeting that afternoon, and then had taken her lunch hour. I did not help her move that loan ahead. I went to the processor and admitted I had not handled the situation correctly. I apologized and gave her permission to come to my desk if this ever happens again and go through the drawers to find the file and give it to someone else. She was kind and let me off the hook by telling me the docs would still go out on time. I am still asking myself in difficult situations ‘is it I.’ I am learning to look for solutions rather than defenses. I feel more peace in my life as I apply this lesson.
         The second lesson of impact this semester has to do with this quote from Elder Cook, "How we relate and interact with each other is a measure of our willingness to follow Jesus Christ."  I have had a difficult time with relationships in my life. I take offense, I feel rejected, and I am stubborn. As I have studied the life and example of Jesus Christ I realize my responsibility in difficult relationships and have a continued desire to change myself and improve these relationships. Since getting married a long time ago, most of our Christmas Eve celebrations have been with my husband’s family, with traditional meals. I have carried that through with my own children as they have grown up and married, until a few years ago when Chinese food was introduced as the Christmas Eve food of choice. I have struggled with this change. I have felt selfishness, anger, disappointment at losing a tradition at the expense of some awkward moments with one my children. This year another one of my children had a brilliant idea. She suggested we adopt Christmas around the world on Christmas Eve which can include tamales, crepes…and Chinese food. As my family grows we will have more return missionaries, with new food experiences to introduce. We will more easily adapt to new experiences without harming relationships. Very most importantly we will be following the example of Jesus Christ.
        The third lesson learned is the encouragement I have received through the study of the life of Jesus Christ is to continue to live worthy of the influence of the Holy Ghost. I have a habit of justifying myself when my work is below standard by saying, “I did my best.”  I believe I should do my best, but more important I want to do the Lord’s will. I cannot do this if I am not in tune with the Holy Ghost. I pray to be worthy his influence. I ask in my prayers to feel his influence and to act on those promptings. I also work at recognizing promptings as promptings. I continue to fall short, but have a greater desire to make progress.
This is my last assignment for this class. It feels appropriate to say for both this assignment and this class…In the name of Jesus Christ,  Amen

Thanks again…it has been very motivating for me to take this class. Merry Christmas!

No comments: