Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lesson 7 Choice 1 Two Parables

     For this assignment I chose the first choice. It was the only choice I could make. I chose number to for the first assignment. I posted my answers on my blog at vonronicasviews@blogger.com.  The best thing about this assignment it the desire it gives me to gain eternal life. My patriarchal blessing mentions eternal life being the greatest gift of God. I enjoy learning about and increasing my desire to gain eternal life. This is the last student choice assignment of the semester. I am taking Book of Mormon next semester, but I will miss this focused study of Jesus Christ.
     
When Jesus instructed the rich young man to sell all that he had and come and follow him, the young man chose not to follow Jesus. It states that he went away sorrowful. To me this means he was sad that eternal life had such a steep price. He must have had a desire for eternal life, as he was asking how to obtain it. He enjoyed his wealth and could not see the greater value in eternal life, which is worth much more than his worldly wealth. The first thing promised of the Savior is eternal life if we keep the commandments. Then to his disciples he tells that gaining eternal life is hard, but not impossible. He tells them through the atonement all things are possible. All will be judged and awarded a place in the mansions prepared for them. The faithful will be awarded the highest degrees of glory.
After receiving the answer to sell all that he possessed, the young rich man walked away from the opportunity to gain eternal life. As members of the latter day church we contribute tithes, offerings, time, and talent. All four of these items do not equate to, go and sell all of our possessions, but for some even that portion is too great and some walk away from the opportunity to gain eternal life. In our day selling all that we have also includes keeping the covenants we have made at baptism and in the temple. It means we stand as witnesses of God in all things and in all places. It means we stand in holy places and are not moved by the buffetings of Satan. It means keeping the commandments no matter what. It means raising righteous families. Selling all that I have means that there is nothing in my life more important than walking the path set by Jesus Christ.

 Hour Hired          $ Agreed to Pay              Hours Worked          Amount Paid
Early Morning          Penny a day.                        12                   Penny
3 hours later          Whatsoever is right.                   9                   Penny
Sixth Hour             Whatsoever is right.                  6                    Penny                      
Ninth Hour            Whatsoever is right.                   3                   Penny                       
Eleventh Hour        Whatsoever is right                    1                     Penny


We learn from this parable that the Lord will reward all who join in the gospel, regardless of where they are in their life span. It should be comforting to converts to realize they will be rewarded as if they had always been in the flock, regardless of their age when joining. To those that are life time members and feel as though they are somehow being cheated, it just isn't’t so. It seems as if lifetime membership is portrayed as a punishment rather than a lifetime blessing. The scriptures tell us that eternal life is the greatest gift of God. There is no limit to how many can gain eternal life. Eternal life doesn't run out. We experience joy when we are involved in saving souls. It doesn't make sense to feel disappointment or slighted when converts or reactivated members gain eternal life. I have a daughter that was not active for a few years. It was a difficult time. She is now active and her husband has been baptized. They have been sealed in the temple. Anyone that has had this type of experience can understand both the great sorrow and the joy that comes when someone you care about repents. All I have to do is picture my daughter and her husband as one of those that was hired on in the eleventh hour and I am grateful they will be rewarded the same as me. I want to be together as a family and I believe this parable teaches me that truth. 

No comments: