Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lesson 6 Choice 1

For this assignment I chose the option to read and answer questions regarding three parables including the Parable of the Ten Virgins. I made this choice because I love the story of the ten virgins. I love the truth that it teaches us. My resources were the LDS scriptures and The New Testament Made Easier. 
Parable of the Ten Virgins
·         In the Parable of the Ten Virgins the Bridegroom represents Jesus Christ.
·         The virgins represent the believers in Christ.
·         The wedding represents the Second Coming of Christ.
·         The bridegroom comes at night to signify the importance of watching and being ready for his appearance always. No one knows when he will come. Those that are prepared will be able to meet him at any hour. This is what we are taught in regard to the Second Coming. We do not know when or where He will return, so we like the wise virgins must be prepared at all times.
·         The foolish virgins took their lamps, but had no oil with them. According to President Lee those that are wise are believers that use the Holy Ghost as a guide. Those that are foolish are disobedient. I think we have so many distractions in this life; it is easy to be less mindful of our duties as members of the church. We allow the distractions to occupy too much time, which leaves little time to be truly diligent and obedient. As a member I want to be prepared to meet the Savior at his Second Coming, but that may not happen as I may die prior to that event. I need to be prepared to meet God today and every day. We will all face judgment whether we are alive at His Second Coming or not. Those who do not prepare will be turned away just as the foolish virgins were.
·         The lesson learned from the wise virgins is to be prepared. To be prepared takes obedience to commandments, faith and prayer, learning to do the will of the Father over our own will. We must be diligent in our preparation. We cannot afford to take a break from our devotion. I know someone that takes Sunday ditch days. She calls them semi-annual ditch days, but I have noticed every time her family misses church it is one of their semi-annual ditch days. My definition of semi-annual is a lot different than hers. Through conversation she has also mentioned going to pizza with her non-member step daughter on Sunday or grabbing a few things at the grocery store. One of these drops of oil may not affect the overall preparedness of a member, but when the drops begin to accumulate there may not be enough oil on the appointed day.
·         Oil is added to our lamps with every righteous and obedient act we perform. It is best if we live our lives making righteous choices without having to think about it. We have oil in our lamps when we no longer have a disposition to do evil. It is important to live this way so we are worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost at all times, in that way we will not be deceived.

Parable of the Talents
·         In verses 21 and 23 it says the servants would be rulers over many things. According to the commentary I read that equates to exaltation. Both were rewarded the same for applying themselves with that which they were given. The third servant had that which he was given taken away and given to him that received five talents. Again according to the commentary I read this servant is sent to outer darkness to pay for his sins as he was unwilling to repent and take advantage of the Atonement. In all three circumstances the most important element of the story is to not be slothful with the blessings we are given. Regardless of the what we are given, if we squander our portion it will be taken away.
·         The third man hid his talent because he was afraid.
·         2 Timothy 1:7 teaches:  Fear does not come from God. He gives us power, love, and a sound mind.
Proverbs 3:5-6 teaches:  We must trust in the Lord with all our hearts not depend on our limited knowledge. We must acknowledge His hand in our lives and He will lead us.
D&C 3:7-8 teaches:  We must trust in God over trusting other human beings. If faithful we are promised protection from Satan. He promises to be with us always.
D&C 6:33-37 teaches:  We will reap what we sow. The good we do will bring a harvest of goodness. If we build our faith on Jesus Christ He will not let Satan win over us. Look to the Lord in all we do, do not doubt Him or his ability to save. We are to fear not. He promises if we are faithful and keep the commandments we will inherit the kingdom of God due to His Atonement.
·         Two gifts I believe I have received are learning and teaching. I love to learn. I learned how to read between kindergarten and first grade by pestering my sisters and brother. I would sit down with an easy book. I learned one word at a time. When I couldn’t remember a word I would ask again. By the time I started first grade I could read all the words the teacher was teaching the other kids. I have always loved to read, which to me a way to continue learning outside formal education. I also enjoy teaching. I like to share what I know with others. I enjoy learning as I prepare to teach and I love the good feeling I have after a lesson is over and it went well. I would like to finish my education and then work where I can teach.
The Parable of the Sheep and Goats
·         The difference in the way we treat others will be the difference in the way we are rewarded in the next life. Those that are charitable will be rewarded with eternal life, whereas those that are uncharitable are sent to everlasting punishment.

·         The six characteristics listed in Matt 25 are hungry, thirsty, naked, sick, stranger, and in prison. With technology today there are people suffering with all of these issues at my fingertips. Here in my city there is a food bank that accepts goods and volunteer work. The schools in my city accept volunteer work and donations which can be used as a tax write off. My husband visited a less active in our ward last night. He was told by the man of the house that they sometimes borrower money to get to work, thus they don’t have money to drive to church. This is an example of poverty of goods and spirituality. Our ward sets up an angel tree every December giving us the opportunity to help children enjoy Christmas morning. At tithing settlement our Bishop shared a bar graph showing the fast offering and missionary monetary needs in our ward. We are doing better on our fast offering contributions than our missionary fund contributions. Humanitarian and spiritual rescue are abundant in my city and around the world. 

No comments: