Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lesson 6 Unit 2 Choice 2 The Holy Ghost

For this assignment I chose to read and answer questions regarding the Holy Ghost. It is Unit 2, Choice 2. I posted my work on my blog at vonronicasviews.blogger.com. My reference materials were the New Testament, the Bible Dictionary, and The New Testament Made Easier. I chose this assignment for the opportunity to study more about the Holy Ghost. I enjoy learning and studying. I remember feeling awe and reverence for the Holy Ghost after teaching a visiting teaching message where I was reminded that the Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead. He deserves my reverence. I am also aware that it is my choice through my actions whether or not I have his companionship. He is easily offended by media choice, music with dark messages and rhythms, and of course my thoughts and actions. I pray often for the courage to choose the right so I will have his companionship. I also pray to feel the spirit at church and these prayers are consistently answered. I am grateful to have had this choice to study about the Holy Ghost. Reading more scriptures and articles would enlarge the knowledge gained from this assignment.

Lesson 6   Unit 2   Choice 2
  • John 14:15-17  The Holy Ghost can abide with us. We must be confirmed members of the church to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost.
  • John 24:26-27  The Holy Ghost will teach all things and bring the things Jesus taught to remembrance.  The Holy Ghost will bring peace so we are not afraid.
  • John 15:26-27  The Holy Ghost will testify and bear witness of Jesus Christ.
  • John 16:7-8  The Holy Ghost will reprove the world in respect to sin and righteousness. He will stand as a witness against those that reject righteousness.
  • John 16:13-14  The Holy Ghost will speak truth as told to Him by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. He will show things to come. He will bear witness of Jesus.
From the Institute Manual:
The Holy Ghost quickens the intellectual faculties. It enlarges increases, expands, and purifies natural passions and affections and adapts them by wisdom to their lawful use. It inspires, cultivates, and matures our sympathies, joys, tastes, and feelings. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, and charity. He is a personage of spirit. His mission is to instruct and enlighten those who are faithful in keeping commandments. He bears witness of the truth. He is a special messenger and reveals the mysteries of the kingdom. He carries out the will of the Father and the Son. He is the third member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit. He is manifested both as the power of the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. The power of the Holy Ghost is a convincing witness before baptism. The Holy Ghost gives one a testimony of Jesus Christ. The gift of the Holy Ghost comes only after baptism and is conferred by the laying on of hands. The gift allows companionship of the Holy Ghost to those who live worthy. The Holy Ghost is able to sanctify and purify a person from all sin, which explains why He is referred to as “fire”.
  • The apostles were left with the task of taking the gospel to all the world. The task of missionary work takes dedication and perseverance. This responsibility was left on their shoulders, but they were not alone. With the influence of the Holy Ghost they would teach as the Holy Ghost carried their message in to the hearts of those that listened and were pure. The Holy Ghost was the witness to those they taught to the convincing them to be baptized. The apostles would have had the Holy Ghost as their constant companion as they taught due to their obedience to the commandments. The disciples were carrying out the instructions of Jesus therefore the Holy Ghost would have been supportive as he carries out the will of the Father and the Son.

  • The way I feel the influence of the Holy Ghost is when I receive answers to my questions and prayers. I feel like my testimony has been a journey where gospel questions are answered through scripture or experiences. In August I was helping my daughter in California. I had taken my 21 month old granddaughter Penelope to the park. We had wandered all around the park playing on all the toys. When it was time to leave we walked to the car when I realized the keys to the car had fallen out of my pocket. I was a little bit frantic. It was too far to walk home with Penelope. As I turned back to the park I prayed in my heart to find the keys. Penelope and I walked toward the splash pad where I had sat and watched her play. I looked behind the cement wall where I had been sitting to watch and there I found the keys. It was the very first place I looked. I had received an answer to my prayer. I felt the influence of the Holy Ghost that day. A few weeks later I told some of my other granddaughters about the lost keys. I wanted to testify to them that my prayer was answered. They anxiously listened as I told them the story. The Holy Ghost touched their hearts as I shared this story. I also bore my testimony about this experience. Again the Holy Ghost helped me tell the story and he carried the message that my prayer was answered into the hearts of those listening. 


No comments: