Saturday, March 8, 2014

Book of Mormon Week 8 Assignment 1

Five Principles of Prayer   3 Nephi 18:15-25
1. Pray always. This is so we will not be tempted by the devil and led away captive by him.  V 15
2. Follow Jesus Christ's example in prayer.  V 16
3. Always pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. V 19
4. When we ask the Father in the name of Jesus Christ for that which is right, with faith, will be given to us.  V 20
5. Pray in families in Jesus name so wives and children will be blessed.  V 21
Bonus Points:  Hold our light that it will shine unto the world. Jesus Christ is the light we share with the world. Follow his example. V 24
Invite all to partake, pray for them, and do not push any away.  V 22,23, & 25
     I set a goal this last week to pray before I did homework. I believe I felt the Spirit that evening as I worked. I also set a goal to be more specific. For example, instead of asking for my grandchildren to be blessed at school, I referred to them by name. Then, I brought a solution to an employment issue to the Lord. I am waiting for that answer or resolution. It is these types of prayers that I falter in faith. I believe I need to increase my faith and believe that the things I pray for will happen. I question myself if what is pray for is right. 
     I receive answers to my prayers in connection to my gospel questions. I believe prayers are answered. The gap for me is we are told we will receive what we are asking for...is right. Elder Boyd K Packer said, "Learn to pray. Pray often. Pray in your minds, in  your heart. Pray on your knees...Prayer is  your personal key to heaven. The lock is on your side of the veil." These are all suggestions I am currently using. Elder Gene R Cook also explains important aspects of prayer, especially when we pray in public. At the end of his message he said, "Surely the Lord is not pleased with such an approach, (praying to impress an audience) nor will he answer the prayers of one who is not focused on the Lord or who does not pray with real intent. Although he is speaking about prayer in public I believe these two points also apply to personal prayer. My plan is to keep working on prayer, so I will know that I am praying for what is right. I will continue to pray often. I will pray on my knees. I will focus on who I am speaking to. I will pray to know His will for me.
 
   When Jesus is speaking about family prayer he is speaking to the multitude. When he mentions prayer in families he says to pray always that your wives and children may be blessed. Because of those words about wives and children he may have been speaking to the heads of household, but I don't think the instructions are specific to them. I do not believe it is the responsibility of the father to always remember and always gather the family for prayer. Life is easier when everyone takes some responsibility making sure morning and evening prayers are said. I believe Jesus wants families to pray for the Spirit to be with them for protection. President Eyring said in relation to this, "It is because He knows perfectly the powerful forces that influence us and also what it means to be human...He knows what it is like to have the cares of the world press in upon us...and he knows how our human powers to cope are not constant." Jesus want us to pray always and pray for his protection.

 James flew in from Texas last night. We went to Abraham's t-ball game and BBQ pizza at Jen and Dave's. It is always a happy day, spending time with the kids.

No comments: