Saturday, March 1, 2014

Book of Mormon Reading Choice 3 3 Nephi 11-17

1. Jesus told the people go to their homes and ponder what he had told them. He told them to ask the Father or pray to understand what they had been taught. By doing those two things they would be prepared to be taught again the next day when he would be with them. 
     I believe there are three important points to consider from these scriptures. First, is the instruction to ponder. Elder Neal A Maxwell said, "Pondering the things of God helps to keep us from being complacent in our approach to Him." He then reminded us of the people on the Rameumpton. These people prayed a memorized prayer from the top of their tower, then went home without another thought of the God they prayed to. I believe that when I ponder what I have read or learned, this allows me to internalize and filter the message. I am able to understand concepts in relation to my life experiences which then leads me to greater testimony or towards continued study to resolve questions.
     The second important suggestion given was to pray to the Father for understanding of what had been taught. Each layer of effort we expend to learn and understand multiplies the outcome. Just reading the scriptures will give us some knowledge. When we read and ponder our knowledge is expanded much greater beyond just reading. When we pray for understanding our understanding will be exponential. We can pray for understanding before, during, and after we pray. We can pray for the Spirit to be with us and we will feel its presence as we learn truth.
    The third instruction (not in chronological order) was to go to their homes. I believe our homes on a spectrum are either conducive to learning and studying the gospel or not. Depending on the media we watch and the way we treat each other will have an impact on whether or not the Spirit will be present. We can not serve two masters and our homes are a reflection of who and how we worship. 
 
2. Characteristics demonstrated by the Savior in 3 Nephi 17
     1. V 2 I perceive that ye are weak: Intuitive to the feelings or conditions of others and patient with their frailties.
     2. V 6 Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you: Had compassion towards the people.
     3. V 7 My bowels are filled with mercy:  Had mercy towards them.
     4. V 8 For I see that your faith is sufficient that I should heal  you: Perceptive of others.
     5. V 9 He did heal them every one: He held the Priesthood and used its power to heal, coupled with the faith of those healed.
     6. V 14 I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel: Has hope for the redemption of all men.
     7. V 15 He himself also knelt upon the earth; and behold he prayed unto the Father:  Was prayerful.
     8. V 15 The things which he prayed cannot be written: Prayed sincerely.
     9. V 16 So great and marvelous things as we saw and heard Jesus speak unto the Father: Had a perfect relationship with Heavenly Father.
     10. V17 No one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father: His actions brought joy to others.
     11. V20 Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full: Found joy in others.
     12. V 21 He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them: Loved them.
 
3.  Setting new goals at this point in the semester is a challenge. I feel like my life is a balance and it doesn't take a lot to tip the balance and I am not able to keep up with what I have committed to. I have decided I want to be more prayerful. This is something I can do all day long if needed. Specifically, I want to include a prayer before I study, which I just did. Several students mentioned praying before study last semester and I believe it will be helpful in many ways. I believe it will increase the Spirit as I read the assigned material. I believe I will have increased capacity to learn and remember. I also want to remember to have a prayer of gratitude before I eat, when I am not at home. I also believe I can increase in sincerity by always praying specifically. It is repetitious to pray for my family members as a group. I believe it is more sincere to pray for specific individuals and their needs. 

No comments: