Saturday, February 1, 2014

Book of Mormon Practicum

I would like to practicum to include two parts. Initially I wanted to improve my journal writing. I am inconsistent at best when not assigned. As I was researching journal writing I noticed my patriarchal blessing and read through it. I was hoping to find a suggestion to write my life history or the mention of recording my life, but it doesn’t. Instead this caught my eye, “I bless you, dear daughter, with happiness. You are a worthy young girl. The Lord wants you to be happy, more happy than you have been at times.” Although no longer young, happiness is a chore for me. It is not my habit. Therefore, with permission I would like to keep a journal of the experiences and feelings of happiness I have. It will be beneficial to read articles about happiness and gospel living. I will look for and learn from other happy people.  I plan to write these feelings on my blog. I plan to learn the habits of journal writing and happiness at the same time.

                In a talk by Elder Benjamin de Hoyos of the Seventy we are taught that happiness is a condition of the soul. He said, “Life is good, if we live in such a way to make it so and happiness is the purpose of the gospel and the purpose of the redeeming Atonement for all men.  He then states that it is in “wanting to” that we can learn of God and be happy. 
                As I try to understand happiness I have looked at other people and have questioned if they were “born that way.” As with all others I have experienced difficult trials. I have kept a mental list of them so I can use when I need to defend or justify unhappy feelings. Then several years ago a widowed sister moved into my ward. Her husband had recently passed away. She was left with three sons to raise on her own. She had married her husband and moved here from Italy, so English was her second language. In her heavy Italian accented comments in Sunday School or Relief Society she reflected this tragedy in her life. Two years later her comments still reflected this tragedy. It was at this point I realized she was stuck and was in the habit of defining her life based on this experience. It was then that it clicked that I too was stuck and in the habit of defining my life by sad events. I believe happiness is not genetic, but learned and practiced. Again from Elder Hoyos in relation to happiness, this joyous state comes as a result of righteous living.   If I understand Elder Hoyes, righteous living brings happiness. I have the gospel and I am practicing my religion, so why am I so gloomy? 
                The Family Home Evening Resource Book states that a journal is a continuing record of meaningful experiences that affect our lives. We are therefore individually responsible to record the events of our lives. President Kimball said this, “Those who keep a personal journal are more likely to keep the Lord in remembrance in their daily lives” This aspect of journaling is a direct blessing for obeying the command to write our experiences in journals. A suggestion as to the actual writing was given by President Kimball, he said, “Your journal should contain your true self rather than a picture of you when you are ‘made up’ for a public performance. … The truth should be told, but we should not emphasize the negative.” Therefore journaling is a record of our experiences, helps keep the Lord in our remembrance, is a command, and should reflect our true selves.
            Two songs are sometimes combined together and it is called a mix up. My question is what happens when happy experiences are mixed up with journaling?


My plan is to
1.    Journal every day.
2.    Read 3 articles on the subject per week.
3.    Find and talk to 2 happy people every week. Report in my journaling who I talked to and what I learned from them.
4.    Look for the tender mercies of the Lord every day and include my discoveries in my journal writing.
5.    Pray for success in my practicum.

No comments: