Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Februay 15, 2014 Book of Mormon Week 5 Choice 3

Helaman 10-16

Ways the people of Nephi responded to the prophets:
V 2   Those that did not believe the words of Samuel the Lamanite threw stones and shot arrows at him to try to take his life. He was protected by the Lord and they were unable to harm him.
V 6   They went to their leaders the captains and asked that Samuel be captured, bound, and “away with him”.
V 15   They relied on their own strength and their own wisdom.
V 18   They doubted the words of the prophets concerning the coming of Christ.
V 20    They believed prophecy to be a wicked tradition handed down from their fathers, so they did not listen to their words.
V 20   They lacked faith, taught others to only believe what they could see with their own eyes, “for we cannot witness without own eyes that they are true.”
V 21   They were suspicious of their leader’s motives.
 V 22   Their hearts were full of foolish and vain imaginations.  They allowed Satan to lead them in their thoughts and actions. Satan led them to do iniquity through rumor and contention which promoted the people to have hard hearts against that which was good and that which was to come to pass.
Why the wicked part of the people responded to the prophets in those ways:
V 10   The people fought against righteousness as they remained in their pride and wickedness.
V 11   The people began to be more hardened in iniquity & did more that was contrary to the commandments of God.
V 15   The people began to harden their hearts
Ways I can avoid following the more wicked part:
1.       Avoid pride:  By definition President Ezra Taft Benson characterized pride in this way, “Pride is essentially competitive in nature. We pit our will against God’s. When we direct our pride toward God, it is in the spirit of ;my will and not thine be done.” As the Primary Chorister I get to sing with primary children every Sunday. One of the songs we sing is, I Will Follow God’s Plan For Me, which says I will hold fast to his word and his love. I believe by studying scripture, applying it to myself, then trusting in God’s plan for me and his love, I can overcome the human tendency to have pride.
2.       Avoid contention: Elder Russell M Nelson teaches that the “Scriptures repeatedly warn that the father of contention opposes the plan of our Heavenly Father. Satan’ method relies on the infectious canker of contention.” Contention is so easy! Being a peacemaker takes unselfishness and compromise.
3.       Avoid iniquity: Elder Richard G Scott taught about the conditions of repentance by quoting guidelines published in The Miracle of Forgiveness by President Kimball. Within this list of guidelines is the counsel to abandon sin, including the resolve not to repeat sin. “Abandonment of sin is an unyielding, permanent resolve to not repeat transgression. By keeping this commitment, the bitter aftertaste of …sin need not be experienced again.”  My plan it so avoid sin, both old and new.
4.       Develop a heart like his. I maintain a top ten book list. One of the books on my list is called A Heart Like His by Virginia Pierce. This book suggests to the reader the idea that we can develop a heart within ourselves like our Savior Jesus Christ. It is written with both inspiration and encouragement to live a better way. It is probably time for me to read again as a reminder.  Alma 5:26-28 asks if I have experienced a mighty change of heart and if I currently stand blameless before God? Have I repented through the blood of Christ? Am I free of pride? Then reminds me to prepare quickly as the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand.


So much to do. I will move forward from where I am today and make progress.


No comments: