Saturday, February 8, 2014

Book of Mormon Week 4 Activity 1

Characteristics of a (Wo)Man of Christ:
Helaman 3:20-32
1.       Just and equal
2.       Keeps statutes, judgments, and commandments of God
3.       Does right in the sight of God, which would be always did right.
4.       Followed the example of his father.
5.       Prospered in the land, which means he received spiritual blessing and guidance.
6.       Multiplies and replenishes the earth.
7.       Honored parents, names sons after righteous parents.
8.       Teaches family the commandments. (they grew up in the Lord v 21)
9.       Does not participate in secret combinations which are fathered by Satan.
10.   Be a missionary. (thousands did join themselves unto the church v 24)
11.   Receive many blessings due to their righteousness.
12.   Pray to the Lord with sincerity of heart.
13.   Believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
14.   Read and be lead by the scriptures to overcome Satan.
15.   Be happy.  (rejoicing in the land of Zarahemla v 31)
16.   Feel peace and great joy.
Helaman 5:6-14
1.       Keep the commandments of God.
2.       Be a missionary, declare the commandments to others.
3.       Live up to the names we have been given, whether it be our own parents or grandparents or the name of Christ through baptism.
4.       Follow the example of those that are good, parents, teachers, bishops, prophets, Jesus Christ, etc.
5.       Build a reputation of being and doing good.
6.       Earn eternal life, which is a gift, by good works. Do not do good for boasting rights.
7.       Believe and remember that salvation only comes through Jesus Christ.
8.       Understands that the mission of Jesus Christ was to redeem the world.
9.       We are redeemed from our sins through repentance. We are not redeemed in our sins.
10.   Understands there are conditions of redemption through repentance.
11.   Testimony is built upon the rock of salvation, which is Jesus Christ.
12.   Has assurance the devil will not have power over them as long as their testimony is built upon Jesus Christ as their Savior.
13.   Kept a journal.  (They did remember his words.  V14 If they weren’t writing them down they would eventually forget.)
14.   Keep the commandments and are missionaries.

     Every day gives me the opportunity to improve my life. This list shows me the areas I have strength and weakness. I believe this list can be prioritized and the most important area for me to focus on is my faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement. In the student manual Elder Richard G Scott states, “There is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.” As my actions towards and for others are hinged on my testimony of Jesus Christ I must put that at the top of the list.  Although it seems selfish to focus on my individual testimony Elder Russell M Nelson said, “Only as an individual can you develop a firm faith in God and a passion for personal prayer. Only as an individual can you keep the commandments of God. Only as an individual can you qualify for the ordinances of salvation and exaltation.” My plan to strengthen my testimony is first with humble and sincere prayer, morning and night, and a prayer in my heart during the day. It is easy, especially if I am tired, to pray without sincerity. I remind myself before each prayer to pray sincerely. That is working and I have noticed improvement. I believe journaling is connected to sincere prayer. As I write about my day and about my scripture reading I am able to clarify my thoughts and pray more specifically. With increased desire for faith in Jesus Christ as my Savior through scripture study and prayer my thoughts throughout the day are directed towards light and truth. I have increased feelings of happiness and less burden. I have also noticed a greater desire to obey the commandments with exactness and I am less inclined to complaining or anger. 

No comments: