Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tuesday February 18, 2014

   Just when I thought I was headed towards health, I woke up with an earache. Having an earache takes me back to childhood and the many earaches I had. I remember them being so painful. I did not go to the doctor for treatment. I wonder if my ear drum burst, as I remember having the pressure suddenly relieved and liquid draining our of my ear. I also wonder if having ear infections cause hearing loss earlier and/or more pronounced with aging. I also remember the time I went sledding with Lorie Rains on one of the snowy days in Shelton, Washington. So much heavy snow, the power was out for a few days and of course no school either! I walked to Lorie's house and we spent a few hours in the heavy, wet snow. It was so fun. I think that was the time we went over the edge of the yard, down a few feet to the beach. Thank goodness the tide was out and we didn't land in freezing cold water. I landed on Lorie again thank goodness, as she was a little bigger than me. I hopped up laughing and she was slower getting up. Funny thing was, she sped us up causing us to fly off the end of the yard as she was trying to get off the inner tube hoping I would sail off the end by myself. So, the joke was on her. After a fun afternoon of snow and sledding, I made the long walk home. My clothes were wet. My hair was wet and my ears were hurting. By the time I got home, I had earaches in both ears. I lay on the couch, probably crying some and my dad came over and rubbed my ear. I remember his warm hand and I remember that it helped the pain in my ear lessen. I never like the pain of an earache, but an earache always takes me back to a day when I felt the love and concern from my father. Small acts of kindness create happy memories of a lifetime.

No comments: