Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Day Four

     Today was a work day. I left work planning to go to Jamie's house to help her clean out a room for Harvey to stay in. She called in the middle of the morning to say she wasn't going to be able to get the room ready for him and he will need to go to a motel. Bill is still refusing to let him come to our house. We called him this evening and he is on the train, on his way here. Harvey makes me sad. I don't want him to be like this.
     I think about being happy a lot during the day. As I read the scriptures and try to improve myself, I feel less discouraged. Nothing has changed in my life. I still work in Scottsdale. I still get up too early. I would love my wages to be doubled. I have now read two of the three articles I plan to read this week. Both articles say the same thing: Happiness comes from obeying the commandments. In an article Happiness it is worded this way, "As we seek to be happy, we should remember that the only way to real happiness is to live the gospel. This has never been more true for me then when I went to see my brother after not getting together for many years. He was nearly unrecognizable, his face swollen, legally blind, shaky, needing help to get from room to room. I attribute the difference between us to our religious convictions which dictate our behavior. Alma 41:10 says, Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness.
    I held my first interview today. I have been afraid to strike up a conversation, not sure how to start. I will get comfortable as I complete a few. This interview was with Brynn, my eleven year old granddaughter. She is a member of the church, active family. I asked her on a scale of one to ten how happy she was most of the time. She said she was a 7-8. I asked her three things that make her the most happy. She listed, in this order: 1. Dance 2. Friends 3. Clothes.  I asked her what she changes when she is unhappy and she said she listens to music. The last question I asked her was what the happiest time in her life, so far. She said it was performing at the Holiday Bowl this past December and anytime she has been at Disneyland. This was an easy interview. I think Brynn will change her answers as she grows older, but for now she is a typical kid. I see her as cheerful most of the time. She is very helpful all of the time. She has confidence and is very sweet. I can use her as an example in my quest for happiness.

No comments: