Sunday, June 15, 2008

James Baker Farrimond

I am going to leave the tributes to William K for the kids to do, as they do a great job.  I would like to pay tribute to my own father. Unfortunately neither Bill nor my kids ever got to meet him and I do wonder what he would be like now in this computer age. What impact would he have had on my kids? After dad died Aunt Ruth had to remind me once that "dad loved his kids & he was proud of us." I know he did, here are a few reasons I know he did and a few reasons why I loved him back.
When Julie & I were in MIA we earned Individual Awards. We, along with other recipients would be called to the front in sacrament meeting to receive them. As bishop dad would hand them out. He always kissed Julie & I on the cheek & I was always soooo embarrassed that he did that. In retrospect I remember this as a way he showed love to me & I recognize that he was not afraid to claim us as his by that show of affection. He wasn't afraid to show publicly he was proud of us. I know he would have loved & enjoyed all his grandchildren. Cindi was the lucky one to be born 1st & enjoy a little taste of that love. 
Back in the old days Sunday was split between a.m. and p.m. meetings. We would go to Sunday School in the morning, Sacrament Meeting in the evening, Primary & RS were on a weekday. We always had a Sunday dinner between meetings at the table in the dining room. Dad would leave earlier than the rest of us for meetings, but he would circle the table giving whiskery goodbye kisses to us before he left.
The last 2 Christmas's before he died he went shopping and bought the kids Christmas gifts. Mom always did the Christmas shopping. The 1st year Julie & I both got blue quilted bathrobes with lace around the collar and flower shaped buttons. I didn't ever want to give that robe up. The next year I got a purple outfit; it was a purple, plaid wrap around skirt with a pretty lavender colored chiffon blouse. I loved both gifts & wore both for many years.  
I remember playing a guessing game with him one day. He had a surprise. It was in a big box. As it turned out is was a tv, but that wasn't the surprise. I guessed a few things, then he told me the surprise. It was a "color" tv. Not all shows were broadcast in color, so even with a color tv we watched a lot of black & white shows, but we now had the capability to watch those that were broadcast in color. The two tv shows I remember he liked were "Star Trek" & "The Road Runner." He laughed so hard at the road runner. It was fun to be with him when he laughed like that. 
I always felt pride in my dad. He worked as a welder at Certified Manufacturing Co. When we would stop in I always felt so important because he was my dad. In my mind he worked at a very important job and worked at a very important company. 
I remember he was on a bowling league and wore a maroon shirt with his name written in shiny yellow thread.
He learned to fly a plane. I only remember getting to take one ride with him. It was an expensive hobby for someone that didn't own their own plane. I'm glad I got to be with him on one ride. We went to a cabin with someone once & flew in a sea plane & landed on water. That was fun too. Dad didn't fly that plane, but afforded us the experience. 
He served his country in the Navy. He worked for Boing on enormous airplane arts. He could fix cars & trucks & washing machines. He built a boat in our carport. He went fishing & brought home salmon. He drove a pickup truck ( I remember a red one & a white one.)  There was always a bag of thick pink peppermints on the seat. I always asked for one, they weren't my favorite, but I wanted them to be so I would be just like him.
Julie & I got allowance once in a while. It was never set in stone. In fact I think we got it whenever we asked for it & we didn't ask very often. I think it was usually on Saturday & we wanted money to do something. Julie & I would go back & forth trying to get the other one to be the one to ask for it. I remember being the one to go ask for our allowance. Dad would pull out his wallet & give us a dollar each. I don't ever remember being tuned down, which makes me wonder why we were afraid to ask for it & why we didn''t ask for allowance more often!?
He had rebellious years, but once he turned himself around he never went back to bad habits. 
I loved to hear him laugh. He loved to tell jokes. He laughed with his parents & siblings. He laughed until he had tears.  Family was very important to him. I think we went to visit relatives every summer. It was more important to vacation at grandma's house than to visit Disneyland. 
Next month will be 39 years since he passed away. I am thankful for the memory of my dad, I just wish I could have shared him with my family.  I am thankful for the sealing power of the priesthood that bonds us together forever. I look forward to reuniting with the hero of my childhood, James Baker Farrimond.

7 comments:

Amy Lu said...

Thanks for sharing this with me mom. I like hearing about my grandparents. Some things remind me of dad so I am sure he was a great man and I also can't wait to meet him.

julie said...

It's fun to break into your blog Vonnie...love this entry about Dad. It is fitting for Memorial weekend just past, and brings back memories I had forgotten about. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It has been so many years, I have forgotten what his laugh sounded like, and it's even hard to remember his face. This is what makes our beliefs in the sealing power and life with our loved ones that much sweeter.

Vonnie said...

Thanks Julie and Amy. I love the feedback. I love when it relates. I love blogging. I feel closer and connected to my family.

Erin said...

I'm so glad that you shared that information about your dad. I haven't met any of James grandparents and so it's fun to hear a little bit about them. You can tell how much you loved your dad. I love that James has such a great person to look up to as a namesake and I sure hope that Grandpa James will be proud of James and what he's done when we finally get the opportunity to meet him.

jenjen said...

mom...it has been an emotional day. Reading that again has made me cry. I am so sad to never have known him here on earth. We knew if Jayne had been a boy she would be Baker...I am so glad you have such respect and love for him. You have set a good example to me for my dad...I love it!

Ang said...

I loved reading about grandpa and I regret never knowing him, but it was so fun to hear some of those random memories....things I never knew. Thanks for sharing!

jams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.